Saturday, September 21, 2013

Retro Review: Resident Evil

Guys, it's been a while. I took a bit of time off of reviewing for some personal reasons, but now, I'm back!
Anyway, There aren't any new Superhero movies coming out until November, and news has been rather slow, so I thought I'd review a movie I just watched the other night. The video game adaptation, Resident Evil. Enjoy the review, guys.

So, this girl named Alice (Milla Jovovich) wakes up with no memory whatsoever. She's told she works for this company that's basically taken over the world. (So, just imagine Apple.) Anyway, they lost contact with one of this company's science lab, and they're sending Alice, along with a few other tough guys, to find out why. And sorry if this surprises you, but they find no survivors, and an underground facility completely overrun by zombies. Lovely.

 First of all, Milla Jovovich is hot. That is all.

Second, something someone must keep in mind while watching a movie like this is that the movie is based off a video game. And in my opinion, we have only had one movie to actually be an intentionally good video game adaptation. That was Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, but we won't go into that right now. Almost every video game adaptation isn't really meant to be a good movie. It's made to make money off of the fans of the game. It's made to please them, but not necessarily anyone else. That fact helps one to maybe enjoy the movie just a bit more knowing that it's not supposed to be perfect. But that being said, I'm going to try to be completely objective.


First, let's talk about character development... there wasn't any. Not only that, but none of the characters were very interesting. The most interesting character was certainly Alice, but even she was rather boring. Great to look at, but boring. We do get a bit of her background as time goes on, but it's rather anticlimactic and pretty uneventful. The other fairly interesting character is Rain (Michelle Rodriguez). She had a really cool tough-as-nails personality that was actually pretty cool to see. Rodriguez also seemed to be the best actress in the movie. Either that or she was the only one that actually cared. Both scenarios are possible.

This movie was... gory. I'm not a fan of gory movies, mostly because I usually find them rather unrealistic. The only one I've ever seen that could pull this off was Robocop, but even then I felt like it was overdone. Lasers slice people in half, elevators fall on people, zombies eat people... it doesn't really end. And while I'm not exactly a fan, I do understand that this movie was made for that kind of audience, so I'm not going to be overly critical. And while this movie was gory, it didn't really rely on the gore for many of its scares. And I actually feel like most of them were pretty legit. All in all, this movie had some good scares, and didn't rely on the gore (that statement is actually really funny when you think of Al Gore...) to deliver them.

I must also compliment this movie on it's use of zombies. I liked them. Well designed, and a nice mix of what classic and new zombies should look and act like. That, coupled with the well directed action sequences, were definitely the best part about this movie. It was great to look at. Of course, you guys know me well enough by now, to know that I believe that great special effects and action is no substitute for good acting and writing, but I must admit that this movie knew what it was doing when it came to its aesthetic.

Speaking of story, did this movie even have one?  Like, I tried to follow it, I really did, but about half way through this movie I realized it was pointless. This movie wasn't made to make you think, so I tried not to. And while this movie could have been ten times better had it had a better story, they chose effect over affect. Almost never a good choice.

On one hand, I want to say that this movie does what it's supposed to do, simply because it does. But on the other, I know that this movie really wasn't very good. If you're in the mood for this movie, you might enjoy it. If not, it's probably a waste of time. The writing is bad, the acting is mediocre, and while the look of the movie is impressive, it can't make up for the simply ridiculous plot.

Final Score: 2/5 or 40%

Are you a fan of gory movies? Or do they make you sick to the stomach? Let me know in the comments, and I'll see ya next time!

Also, Milla Jovovich is hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment