Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: The Lone Ranger

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time. The previews made this movie look like something
really cool, action pact and well acted. But did it live up to my expectations? Was it as good as I was hoping? Well...

The west is wild. And in a world where Law and Order has become almost impossible to find, someone must step up, and fight for what's right. That person is The Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer). In this film, he must over come his pacifist ideals, and fight for what he loves. Even if he has to wear a mask to do that.

The first scene in this movie takes place in 1933. A young boy meets an Indian who claims to be Tonto (Johnny Depp). Throughout the movie, the story is told by this guy... Okay... It really does nothing for the story, and I'm not sure what the idea was behind this. There's nothing interesting through this, and it just adds to the movies already ridiculous length.

I have to say, this movie has an incredible pair of leads. Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are truly amazing in what they do. They have a chemistry that is almost unrivaled in movies today, and watching them interact on screen together was a pleasure. The humor in this movie was top notch. Both actors were hilarious, and watching them together was simply great. Those things alone carry this movie.

There was also some really good character development. Seeing the past of Tonto was really cool. You really feel for him, and get an emotional connection with his character I liked that. Although it's true that Armie Hammer did a magnificent job,  it was Johnny Depp, who stole the show.

William Fichtner is in this movie... yeah. I mean, he did a good job with the role, but his character was completely unlikable, and unappealing. I didn't like the way he was written. Ruth Wilson was the leading lady. She did a fair job all considering. I'm not really sure how much she did for the film, but she was a decent character.



The score for this movie was actually amazing. I really enjoyed hearing the music that went along with the action sequences, and the graver moments.

The action sequences... good lord. These were so over the top and ridiculous, it took me out of the movie. I'm not usually one to complain about action being unrealistic, but this time, it was. And for that reason, it was hardly entertaining. There were a few instances in which I felt were very funny, but still over the top, so I really couldn't take them all that seriously.

And of course, there's this movie's length. I don't mind long movies at all. But when the plot simply repeats itself for an hour and 45 minutes... it gets boring. The humor made this movie watchable, but it's only toward the end of this movie that the Lone Ranger finally accepts that he must fight. I mean, seriously, he goes on for most of the movie not believing in guns or violence, and it gets annoying. Every 15 minutes or so, he goes on another speech about why it's bad to fight, and why guns are bad. It's about two hours into the movie when he finally says that he was wrong, and he needs to fight. I'm pretty sure everybody agrees, that this would have been better discovered an hour ago. Then maybe we wouldn't have been so bored.

So, yes, although this movie is really funny, and Johnny Depp is amazing, this movie was weighed down considerably by it's length, and ridiculous action sequences. I did enjoy it a bit, but don't go see this movie for eight bucks. I'm going to give it a 3/5. No where near great, but not terrible. If 2.5/5 means I don't care one way or the other about the movie, I'd say this is just barely enough above that to make 3.

Have you seen the movie? Do you agree that the length just doesn't suit it? Let me know in the comments! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment