Monday, September 29, 2014

Top Ten: Favorite Video Games

I know it's a movie site, but I recently got into gaming. Never considered myself a gamer, and I honestly haven't played too many games, but the ones I liked, I truly enjoyed. The ones on this list aren't necessarily the "best," but they're my favorites. Also, I'm sticking to a one per franchise rule of sorts. I won't include multiple entries in the same series, but spin off series games can be included as long as they aren't part of the same numbered franchise. Because of that, the list isn't exactly completely accurate, but it wouldn't be as much fun if it was. Anyway, here's the list.

First, here are a few games that came really close to making it. 

Honorable Mentions

  • Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (Probably would have made the list if not for how glitchy it was)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (It's open world was incredible. But playing as the bad guy left me with a bad taste in my mouth.)
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Probably my favorite fighting game.)
  • Rolling Thunder (Sooooooooooo many memories.) 
  • Wii Sports Resort (Again, playing this game with my siblings was great. Brings back some wonderful memories. That's why it gets a mention.)
And now... for the list.

Top Ten

 

Super Mario Bros. (Super Nintendo) 

Starting off the list is a game I had for the Super Nintendo back in the day. The remastered version, actually. I'm not even sure I ever actually beat it. Probably not. But the enjoyment it gave me was undeniable. Not only that, but it probably introduced me to gaming. If I played a video game before this one, I don't remember it, and that's what guarantees this game a spot on my list. 








Number 9- Yoshi's Island (Game Boy Advance SP)

This game ends up on the list because of nostalgia, mostly. I spent hours upon hours as a kid with my Game Boy trying to get to the end of this game. As young as I was, it took me years, but it was definitely the most rewarding experience I ever got from beating a game. Some of my favorite memories from gaming comes from this forgotten treasure.




Number 8- Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)

Alright, now we've gotten nostalgia out of the way, and we're into the meat of the list. Who didn't lose a few friends over this game? Over who got to play as Bond or whether or not to allow rocket launchers? In my humble opinion, this had the best split screen multiplayer ever and a decent single player campaign to boot. Even if the AI was shoddy and no one knew what the plot even was. Definitely my favorite first person shooter.




Number 7- Dead Space 2 (PlayStation 3)

The first one was a pretty good game, but it's the sequel that made strategically dismembering aliens something that's truly a great time. Eliminating the backtracking and zero gravity problems from the first, and adding more puzzles to solve, missions with a lot of variety, as well as characters that are actually worth remembering. It also quite possibly has the best ending in any video game. The best survival horror game... ever. 








Number 6- Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (PlayStation 2)

There was a time when I called this my favorite game. The sheer size of it is simply remarkable. There are a ton of maps to play on, and each map is detailed and fun to fight in. No, the AI isn't perfect, but the mechanics are basically flawless. You also get a real glimpse into what it's like to be a completely dispensable soldier in a war on a galactic scale. It's not only one of my very favorite shooters, but also a great addition to the Star Wars canon.  








Number 5- Mario Kart: DS 

Okay, maybe I lied, and we aren't through with nostalgia just yet. I moved on to a DS after my Game Boy, and this was one of the games I played the most... I was always Yoshi. Consistently entertaining maps and fun characters always made Mario Kart a hit, but I still think this handheld version is the best one we've ever gotten. The inclusion of items is pretty much essential for me with racing games, so this is definitely my favorite of the genre. 




Number 4- Spider-Man 2 (PS2)

This is another game I once called my favorite. The first one was fun, but the introduction of an open world that blew my mind, and making webs actually stick to buildings when swinging, were not only revolutionary to Spider-Man games, but to gaming in general. Why Spider-Man games can't follow this blueprint any more, I will never understand. I spent countless hours doing repetitive missions and just swinging around. Which puts a terrific story mode on the back burner. Definitely my favorite movie game, and my favorite open world ever.    



Number 3- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

Arkham City easily could have taken this spot. Very easily. Objectively, it's probably the better of the games. But its open world never really captivated me, and in my opinion, Arkham Asylum may very well be the greatest Batman story ever told. It has gadgets, it has combat that's a ton of fun, the best stealth system in any game, and a dreadful atmosphere that always keeps you on your toes. Along with a voice cast that would make any nerd ecstatic, and unrivaled character designs, Arkham Asylum remains my favorite Superhero game.






Number 2- The Last of Us (PS3)

I don't think I've ever played a perfect game, but The Last of Us may be the closest thing I've seen. Possibly the best graphics of the seventh generation, and stellar gameplay. The combat is strategic and intense, and the down time is always full of places to explore, things to see, and puzzles to solve. Not only that, but it has the perfect AI in both the humans and Zombies. It's also a great piece of storytelling. Filled with memorable characters, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat. This game probably could have secured the number one spot, if not for the lackluster ending.  






Number 1- Mass Effect 3 (PS3)

My three favorite games are the Mass Effect games. So choosing one was no easy task. The second has what is probably the best final mission in video game history, and it's characters are wonderful, but the third affected me emotionally in a way no other game has done. Reuniting with your friends from the first game gives you the best sense of nostalgia, and the decisions you have to make are some of the biggest and most impactful of the series. The gameplay is a ton of fun, but what really makes this game my favorite, is the character that I get to shape. I get to step outside my world for a moment and live as a hero in a galaxy that's like our own, but even more fantastic. I guess that's the best part about video games. The ability to leave this world for a short time, and join any other one you want. And, in my humble opinion, Mass Effect 3 does that better than any other. 





That's it! But it's true that the list isn't perfect. So, here are a few games that would have made the list if not for the franchise rule. 

Runner Ups (Runners Up? Runners Ups? Oh well. They ran.)

  • Mass Effect 2 (PS3)
  • Mass Effect (PS3)
  • Batman: Arkham City (PS3)










That's about it. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment