Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Retro Review: Superman Returns

Superman Returns. The man of steel spent twenty years away from the big screen, but was never really far away. Bryan Singer brings us a more emotional, and less campy movie, but still ties it to the first two, while ignoring the events of the third and fourth. Thank God it ignored the fourth. But it brings us an entirely new cast, and something completely new compared to the movies we all know and love. Just want to let you guys know that there IS a spoiler in here. I'll let you know when we get to it, but be careful while you read if you haven't seen the movie.

Basic plot: astronomers find the distant remains of Krypton, Superman's home world, and he disappears for five years hoping to find it. Then he... returns... thus the title.

First off, the casting. Brandon Routh was an excellent Superman. Was he as good as Christopher Reeve? No, not at all, but he was still an amazing actor, and I believe would be any body's second choice to play Superman. In today's day and age, I don't think there's a better choice. His performance as Clark Kent was just as good, and he really captured the magical character of Clark that was left for someone else 26 years ago. It was so funny, and great to watch.

Kate Bosworth is a great actress, and I think that her interpretation of Lois Lane was phenomenal. I really enjoyed her character, and I think she was exactly how Lois should be. She was hot, she was prone to getting into trouble, and she still had a thing for Superman.

Lex Luthor is the epitome of powerless villains. Smart, calculated , and a true threat to even Superman... Gene Hackman was none of that. One of the greatest villains of all time was reduced to barely more than comic relief, and it was one of the biggest flaws of the original movies. Really, one of the only flaws. Kevin Spacey was a step in the right direction. He still wasn't the Lex Luthor of the comics, but he really couldn't be, considering the fact that this movie IS a continuation of the same story. But you can tell that at least an attempt was made.

This movie's writing was incredible. It was filled with raw emotion and great, humerus, dialogue. Every time someone said something I was hanging on to every word.

The action was exhilarating, spectacular, and always a pleasure to watch. And honestly, this movie had just the right amount of it. No senseless violence, or huge explosions that take up the whole film. This movie focuses on it's heart, something every movie should do. It gives it's characters room to breathe, and develop into something great. Action tends to get in the way of that, but in this movie, we get the perfect amount of both.




I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for romance, and this movie was no exception. The love story between Superman and Lois was beautiful, and one of my favorite scenes was their flight together. A little more realistic than the first, and just a pleasure to watch. It makes you feel heartbroken, it makes you feel for Superman. It helps you realize that beneath all the powers, he's just like you and me. His heart, is still vulnerable.



Possibly the best part about this film, is Bryan Singer's breathtaking direction. He might be my favorite director right now, and it's mostly because of this movie. NEVER have I been blown away by a movie's direction since, maybe Jaws, or Terminator 2. It just doesn't get any better than the way Singer put this film together, and I don't think we'll get a better directed Superman film in a long time.

This is the spoiler paragraph, so I would suggest that if you have not seen the movie, skip down to the last one. Well, of course, the big thing a lot of people tend to have a problem with is the way the movie ended. He's on an island, filled with kryptonite by Lex Luthor that could wipe out the united states. Despite the fact that he can barely stay awake next to kryptonite, he lifts this entire MASSIVE island out of the ocean and into space. I understand the complaint, and while I do see it as a bit much, I don't think it's TOO much. I personally think it's a beautiful way of demonstrating that his love for humanity overcomes even his greatest weakness. Besides, it's not like he did it flawlessly. He literally DIED afterward. He was resuscitated, but his heart stopped. I do believe it worked wonderfully. Batman said it best in the comics. "Superman's greatest superpower isn't his strength, or his ability to fly. It's not his heat vision, or the fact that he's nearly invulnerable. His greatest super power is his heart. And his love for others, above himself."

This is a wonderful movie. I wasn't a huge Superman fan before, but this movie made me one. It's emotional depth captures me every time I watch it, and as everyone knows, I love it when there's a true heart in a movie. I love the action, but it never gets in the way. And flawless performances from EVERYONE in this movie helps even more. All of this is topped off by Singer's perfect direction, and gives this movie a perfect rating.

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment